[M3devel] CM3 on Alpha tru64 4.0G

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Tue Jul 13 21:19:15 CEST 2010

Hi Guys,

I've been trying unsuccessfully to build various version of Modula-3
(DEC-SRC, PM3, CM3) on a DEC Alpha 300 running tru64 4.0G and was
wondering whether anyone could give some guidance of what is possible,
indeed sensible.

I've received a couple of helpful emails for Daniel, but what I'd really
like clarified are the following:

1. Is this sensible, or is tru64 5+ the only realistic tru64 platform to
attempt?

2. The executables for tru64 uploaded to the opencm3 website in
cm3-min-ALPHA_OSF-d5.8.2-20100612.tar.gz don't work for me - I get a
decthreads exception. Does anyone know what version of tru64 these were
built with?

3. Is it possible to build CM3 from scratch, or do I need some version
of the M3 build tools?

Many thanks for the help. I used DEC-SRC Modula-3 around 1995 and am
trying to get it compiled up for a recent project, but on an original
platform. Some may call me crazy, and they'd be totally justified. I'm
not sure whether back-in-the-day I had it running on tru64 (well back
then it would have been Digital Unix 3.2C) or whether it was on a linux
box.

Thanks for the help,

Mark.