[M3devel] minor problems on the release branch

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 15 15:56:55 CEST 2010

I believe the .M3SHIP tests have always failed because they look for Posix paths in the output.
You can likely now create correct stdout.pgm-NT386 and they will work.
It's not just the slashes, but also libfoo.a vs. foo.lib, foo.exe vs. foo.
I think.
I vaguely recall noticing that and that the tests not the functionality was broken.

To the extent that the tests are looking for "back substitution" to work and
don't care about the others, change the slashes, remove the last path element,
and declare that correct output?

The float<>string conversion worries me some.
I wish we had noticed it earlier.
At a certain level, it's not a big deal: the resulting strings are certainly "reasonable".
But programs could legitimately take a pretty close dependency on the behavior here. Right?
  Until/unless VAX support comes back, in which case we'll probably get varying results.

To debug this, a bit tedious, but someone might consider getting the release branch
to just before the failure and verifying it works, then just after the failure, verify it doens't work.
Then compare the two branches.

SOLsun fails for a minor reason:
+cc: Warning: -xarch=v8plus is deprecated, use -m32 -xarch=sparc instead
I probably just have to redirect it to >/dev/null.
I don't just change the config file. The config file works with a range of cc versions and probes their behavior.
  (something we might consider in a more autoconf-sh way, i.e. less often, though it isn't all that often, and
  someone can upgrade their cc at almost any time, so...)

Lots to work through..