[M3devel] moving to new target names, in Hudson?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Jul 19 16:28:35 CEST 2010

Hi Jay,

I've learned several new things about Windows again; but in general,
I don't think we disagree very much about the options and things to do.

I agree that config.guess might be a good short-time option for the
installation package names.

I also agree that we could provide assembled packages for everything
like PM3 did and rely on auto-configuration for everything else.
This might be some more work for Windows though, as it uses a different
backend than all other platforms. We'd need to create completely different
Makefiles and scripts for Windows than for Unix and Unix-like systems.
Or rely on some other tooling as prerequisite (either perl, python,
Cygwin, ... you name it). I wouldn't like that very much though.

I'm not sure yet if that would be welcome by all users and be seen
as a step forward. I wouldn't mind it though.
If it is generally accepted as a good idea, we should build up the
infrastructure for that kind of packages and installations in parallel
to what we have now.

It would definitely not be the native Windows-installer user experience
then ;-)

Olaf