[M3devel] moving to new target names, in Hudson?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 19 17:04:22 CEST 2010

BUILD_DIR = "MIKAS_ENVIRONMENT_USING_CM3_5_8_6_WITH_THREADS_HACKS_ON_FREEBSD_4_11_I386"
TARGET = "FreeBSD4"

yes.

I can't say I've ever done it, but it is supposed to work, and there is the profile precedent Olaf mentioned.

Now, let's ask ourselves something important.
Where does it ship to?
Either it ships to BUILD_DIR, good, you get to rebuild everything (m3core, libm3, etc.) whenever you change BUILD_DIR.

Or it ships to TARGET and my story is completely wrong.
Unless we change it to BUILD_DOR.

Let me see.
We ship to build_dor.

And I'm proposing...devil will in the details, actually doing it, seeing if it works out..if the config file sets
word size (it already does, long ago), endian (I added recently), jmpbuf size... then TARGET might become
even less meaningful. I think the alignments are all the same. The types are all the same, given word size.
The floating point types are all the same, for now (I'm threatening to add VAX and 80bit x86 long double),
but still that could be config file... then the compiler (cm3) is left knowing nothing of any predefined targets..

Currently TARGET must be from within a list the compiler knows about.
BUILD_DIR is supposed to be arbitrary.
The "ship no resolution" stuff has some dependency that build_dir == target, but that's ok.