[M3devel] -rpath/origin/CM3_INSTALL on osf

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Jun 13 22:43:22 CEST 2010

OSF, at least the older version that Mika is running, supports -rpath /foo/bar and -rpath ${arbitrary_environment_variable}, but not -rpath $origin.

Therefore I believe we should pick an arbitrary_environment_variable.

I'd like CM3_ROOT, but that is already somewhat/optionally in use for the root of the source tree.
CM3_INSTALL is somewhat/optionally in use to mean what we want here.
So CM3_INSTALL should probably be it.

Alternatively we could pick something really new, OSF_CM3_RPATH or such, and drop in wrapper scripts that set it to their location.

As well, OSF still has the "old" structure where all the .so files are strewn around pkg instead of flattened into lib.
I'll fix that shortly.

You know, the distributions I uploaded have /home/jayk presumably all around them.

We could also "stage" installs to somewhere unique/arbitrary and require user to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
But CM3_INSTALL seems adequate, maybe better.

Possibly CM3_INSTALL_5_8, CM3_INSTALL_5_9, etc.
  Though really, better than that is probably wrapper scripts that set CM3_INSTALL.
And wrapper scripts could be executables, put the real executables in lib or such.