[M3devel] warning for uninitialized variables?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 4 01:59:01 CEST 2010

> The NORETURN type would have no values

Everyone else seems to do with pragma-ish things.
I don't know what is best.
Visual C++ has __declspec(noreturn).
gcc has __attribute__((noreturn)) or somesuch. Maybe it is named something else.
Visual C++ puts a breakpoint instruction after any call to a noreturn function.
abort() for example is noreturn.

>> I'm also nervous about us not taking a hard line on integer overflow.
> I agree. But I do need a way to turn it off for specific operations so
> Perhaps also a specific type for wrap-around arithmetic?

Yes. Or a new module.
And I believe a bunch more is needed in general.
  Signed and unsigned.
  And overflow should do one:
    return an "error" code (boolean? true for success? or true for overflow? Booleans can be so ambiguous..)
    raise an exception
    silently wraparound

I have to look into Modula-3 generics.
Ideally this can be implemented with generics and not actually writing all N combinations.
And without any "runtime switching".

For example, the generic parameters would be
  "Word"
  "Error"

Word would look like Word.
Except all the functions would probably return BOOLEAN to indicate overflow.
  Even if that isn't the actual "error code".

Error would expose type T that the actual implementation would return.
Oh, wait, no, Modula-3 can't do that -- there is no "VOID" type.

So..instead.. decide what the "error code" form is -- probably returning FALSE.
The Error module would expose one function, OnError.

The main code when it recieves false from "Word" would call Error.OnError.
There'd be two Error's versions. In one, OnError would do nothing. In the other, it would raise an exception.

Hm.
If Modula-3 didn't have this pesky "eval" thing, you'd be done.
Silent wraparound would be calling the "OnError donothing" form, but you'd just ignore the error.

This is unfortunate I think.

Btw, C++ folks eventually realized you need to be able to write code like this:

PROCEDURE F1();

PROCEDURE F2() =
BEGIN
  RETURN F1();
END F1;

for reasons related to templates/generics.
You need to be able to return the result of a function you call, without knowing the return type, and the return type possibly being void. The need for this feature is obvious once you spend a few days using templates/generics.

Anyway, for silent overflow you'd have to layer over the bool version, just prepending eval.
Something like that.

The lowest level implementation probably returns bool.

The Error module could also expose a type ErrorType and some constants like OverflowError and NoError.

Maybe I'll code this up soon in pure Modula-3.

Where/who/when are the interface police?
We can add stuff to m3core or libm3 at will? As long as don't extend or change stuff in the green book?