[M3devel] -rpath/origin/CM3_INSTALL on osf

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 14 23:04:35 CEST 2010

I'm strongly considering dropping in bin stubs that calculate and set CM3_RPATH and then exec the actual files, in cm3/lib.
Thoughts?
It'd only be for OSF.
And only for shared executables -- wouldn't break cm3 finding config files.
Whether or not argv[0] "lies" and remains as bin, or is "truth" and set to lib, unsure.

Alternatively, relink on upon ship/install?
  That I believe is not unusual practise. It'd also fix NetBSD 4.0..
    And it is in some ways better than the current use of $ORIGIN on all other systems.
  Augment "boot1.py" to build the entire system, and build a makefile that rebuilds and ships all libraries/executables?
  Well, what that probably looks like is augmenting it with Olaf's packaging.
   Use that layout, and the method of using cd+cm3, but include all the .c and .s files and have cm3 run assemble/make_lib/ship.
   We likely want that anyway, as a more complete form of cross build. Where I define "cross build" in an odd way -- compiling
   all the Modula-3 to assembly, but not compiling any of the C or running the assembler or linking.

There are possible other options, like have the stub determine all the files to load and put them in _RLD_LIST.

Or just don't support shared libraries on OSF?

Or just distribute existing "boot" for OSF, and require people (Mika) to run scripts/python/boot2.sh?
 This is maybe the best short term choice. Doesn't require any work, supports shared libraries.
 I think I'll "try" that. Upload a current boot and if Mika can get it to work from there and doesn't mind it, good enough.