[M3devel] ***SPAM*** RE: Linux/ARM? Android?

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Mon Jun 21 08:32:22 CEST 2010

Is there such thing as overportability ?:) Are we really so desperate to
reach for users and supporters to fight for ones using most obsolete and
obscure hardware/OSes? Outside of what gcc covers?

My mention of LLVM was not "get more platforms" but "get new angle".

On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 22:40 +0000, Jay K wrote:

> If you generate C, you get one very portable distribution format -- a
> bunch of C in .tar.gz.
> Far more portable than what we have today.

  If we all just stick to C, we'll have that, minus all learning and
programming and debugging and packaging and marketing effort for
Modula-3. Don't you think so? And this compares because...

> You get possibly better optimization.
> Possibly better debugging.
> A much smaller source tree -- no need for m3cc or m3gdb.

  And you get to talk C with your program when debugging, instead of
M3... How nice :). We can have Modula-3 developers in teams who don't
even need to know Modula-3?

  m3gdb we need, that is for sure. As for m3cc... There comes LLVM
also... What we need is coordinated effort with gcc|LLVM people so we
can get recognition and "officiality" of our patches. And once for all
stop running behind in versions used.

> Consider all the platforms that aren't well supported by gcc or LLVM.

  All that hardware people are throwing away....

--
Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>