[M3devel] gcc tree checking

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Jun 30 09:06:31 CEST 2010

Quoting "Rodney M. Bates" <rodney_bates at lcwb.coop>:

> Jay K wrote:
[...]
>> I'm thinking maybe I should make a test case that thoroughly exercise
>> each m3cg opcode and verifies that the output assembly is unchanged,
>> for a few architectures.
>
> This is a very good idea.  It may be a lot of work, but I have found
> many times over that regression testing tools of this kind pay for
> themselves in the (not so) long run.  Some of the changes found will
> be legitimate, but that's a lot easier to verify than to chase obscure
> bugs from end symptoms.

I second that. Regression testing for the generated code would be
great and give us much more safefy when changing the compiler.

So anybody who'd like to work in this area is greatly encouraged.

Of course a general easily extensible framework would be nice :-)
Preferrably written in quake and M3.

Olaf