[M3devel] m3cg.i3 reduction?

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Mon Mar 8 18:42:16 CET 2010

It is never realistic to try to thoroughly test a later (than the first) phase of
any compiler solely by pumping source code through the earlier phases.  Every
compiler I have ever worked on had tools to allow hand-coded input to later
phases, either already, or else I wrote one, if I had significant responsibility
for testing.  Sometimes it can be done with a plain old text editor, if the
intermediate stream is character-encoded.

Similarly, you need to be able dump the intermediate forms of output from earlier
phases in human-readable form.  Don't we already have at least some of this?