[M3devel] random.longint()?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat May 15 09:03:53 CEST 2010

In libm3 there is random number generation.
In libm3 that is code that wants 8 random bytes.
  If integer is 4 bytes, it calls random.integer() twice, else if it is 8, once.

It seems natural that we should provide random.longint()?

And then the other code can just use it?

Someone can look into the random number generator and
 - make sure it is actually "correct" for 64bit integer?
 - and if so, change the lowest level to use LONGINT
   and layer integer over it? -- not sure how, presumably
   taking only the lower 32bits loses too much randomness?

This is what I get for looking into why we are ever asked to extract 0 bits..

"Everywhere I look, I see bugs." (topic of a separate mail)