[M3devel] gcc 4.5.0?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu May 20 13:50:50 CEST 2010

Tony, what is involved in upgrading to gcc 4.5.0?

Import unchanged gcc.4-5.0 to the "gcc-releases" branch?

Merge it to the "gcc" branch?

And then to head?

I mean, you know..there are all the directions out there for managing
external trees, but I think the main missing detail is what
branches/tag names to use to match previous history, and it isn't
immediately clear to me..from, um, reading the history (which imho is
yet another indictment of CVS -- I can't figure out what happened).

I have gone through the exercise a very small number of times, like once, of importing foreign source into cvs.
But I haven't ever updated it.
e.g. cvsup.

I can also easily enough diff our tree against gcc-4.3.0, overwrite with 4.5.0, and reapply the diffs.
The diffs are quite small.
But I know that's not considered the right way.

(I'm still hoping to switch, like to mercurial or maybe git or maybe monotone..)