[M3devel] separate directory for gcc-4.5? import binutils?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed May 26 07:58:54 CEST 2010

Anyone object if I create gcc-4.5.0 or gcc-4.5 next to m3cc/gcc?
Anyone object if I import binutils?

Both are tenuous but possibly useful.

Importing gcc-4.5.0 allows for an easier/slower move to it, with somewhat easier to read history.

 - m3cc/src/m3makefile could chose between gcc and gcc-4.5.0.
   As they are tested they could move to gcc-4.5.0.

 - The original import wouldn't have the Modula-3 diffs.
   It might be possible to have CVS do the future merges.
   At least maybe to 4.5.1, 4.5.2, etc.
   Which is a reason to call it 4.5.

 - But it does add considerably to the source tree size and time to cvs checkout/upd.

 - We'd probably want to symlink gmp/mpfr, and now mpc.
   Really those should probably be *not* under gcc, but outside,
   build them first, point gcc at them the "same" way it would.
   Point being
     - more granular "clean"
     - split up the tree in terms of history/import/sharing

Importing binutils might kinda/sorta allow better cross support.
gcc+binutils are 2 out of 3 pieces need to build every complete cross tools.
The third piece is headers/libraries for each system.

One can at least assemble the assembly to object files.

Or not. I can also merge our changes into 4.5.0, test a few but not all targets, and go.
e.g. Darwin/amd64, Linux/x86, Solaris/sparc32.