[M3devel] new target names -- SOLsun vs. SOLgnu? I386_SOLARIS Sun cc vs. GNU cc?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu May 6 22:13:07 CEST 2010

Yes it is free of cost. But maybe people still prefer gcc for some reason?
e.g. they have some Linux/sparc assembly?
or use gcc extensions?
We generally don't do either in the Modula-3 libraries, since we already compile with Sun cc for Sparc.

Or for cross build purposes?
 That can be pretty powerful -- building a full gcc+ld cross toolset. I'm using that for VMS currently (for ld you have to use trunk, the support isn't in the latest release). Though binutils/ld/gas support is a little spotty outside of Linux, generally not as much as gcc. And you have to copy the headers/libraries from the target machine.