[M3devel] [M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Coleburn, Randy rcolebur at SCIRES.COM
Mon May 10 21:19:39 CEST 2010

Jay:

I agree with some of your sentiments about the ugliness of the POSIX GUI, e.g. C & G buttons for close and grow, but I again want to point out that the "Win32" GUI is not ideal either.

Please recall that the changes made in the Win32 side were to make the Trestle/FormsVBT GUI appear more like Windows NT GUI at the time, but these are only approximations and it is not identical.  Plus, the Windows GUI continues to evolve, so the look and feel is now even further apart from the Windows Aero interface, than in 1995 when my company paid CMass to make the Win32 NT mods.  I haven't used X-Windows in a while, so not sure how far apart Trestle on X is from just X.

The other aspect that needs to be considered is that if the look/feel of the GUI changes, someone needs to update all the Trestle/FormsVBT documentation to match.  This may also create a cascade of documentation edits for any user programs/systems built and documented using the prior look and feel.

Note that the operation of scroll bars as documented under Trestle/FormsVBT are radically different from Microsoft Windows.  The current Win32 scroll bar implementation is closer to MS Windows, but it is still different, and it is not documented in Trestle/FormsVBT.  (I have a write-up on this I can provide.)

Depending on the needs/desires of the M3 community, there may be a need to maintain some runtime switch or compile time option to switch between the old style look and feel and any new style that is implemented.

Perhaps we should have a discussion in the m3devel forum to see how folks want to proceed before making any radical changes in the GUI look and feel.

Regards,
Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Krell [mailto:jkrell at elego.de]
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2010 4:35 AM
To: m3commit at elegosoft.com
Subject: [M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

CVSROOT:        /usr/cvs
Changes by:     jkrell at birch.   10/05/09 08:35:27

Modified files:
        cm3/m3-ui/vbtkit/src/lego/: ZChassisVBT.m3 m3makefile
        cm3/m3-ui/vbtkit/src/lego/POSIX/: m3makefile
        cm3/m3-ui/vbtkit/src/lego/WIN32/: m3makefile
Removed files:
        cm3/m3-ui/vbtkit/src/lego/POSIX/: ZChassisVBT.m3
        cm3/m3-ui/vbtkit/src/lego/WIN32/: ZChassisVBT.m3

Log message:
        unfork ZChassisVBT.m3

        instead of copying 140 lines and changing a few, when
        both variations are portable, you can test
        Compiler.ThisOS = Compiler.OS.POSIX or Compiler.OS.WIN32
        and just have both variations.

        Alternately, make a /smaller/ interface and /smaller/ implementation
        that just contains the changed functions/lines

        The larger ScrollerVBTClass.m3 file received more churn so
        merging might not be viable/worthwhile.

        Besides, the Posix gui is terrible here, G for grow, C for close,
        we should probably just use the Win32 gui everywhere.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipient(s).  This email may contain confidential and/or proprietary information of Scientific Research Corporation.  If you are not a named recipient, you are prohibited from reviewing, copying, using, disclosing or distributing to others the information in this email and attachments.  If you believe you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the email, any attachments, and all copies thereof from any drives or storage media and destroy any printouts of the email or attachments.

EXPORT COMPLIANCE NOTICE:  This email and any attachments may contain technical data subject to U.S export restrictions under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).  Export or transfer of this technical data and/or related information to any foreign person(s) or entity(ies), either within the U.S. or outside of the U.S., may require advance export authorization by the appropriate U.S. Government agency prior to export or transfer.  In addition, technical data may not be exported or transferred to certain countries or specified designated nationals identified by U.S. embargo controls without prior export authorization.  By accepting this email and any attachments, all recipients confirm that they understand and will comply with all applicable ITAR, EAR and embargo compliance requirements.