[M3devel] gcc 4.5.0?

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri May 21 08:59:09 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 07:41:46AM +0000, Jay K wrote:

> Oh..I see..he is allowing to take the address of a nested function.
> I didn't account for that.
> I still don't understand all the arrow he draws for the static link, but
> I do see that my scheme doesn't suffice.
> Taking the address of a nested function..doesn't seem like a good idea.

Works fine as long as you only use it within other nested stuff.  Very
useful.  It's the way call-by-name in Algol 60 was implemented.  And if
you were to put the stack on the heap and garbage-collect it (which
can cost a lot (Scheme does this, not recommended for Modula 3)), you
don't need the nesting restriction.

> Maybe I'm too C-minded.

-- hendrik