[M3devel] closure marker

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun May 30 13:44:29 CEST 2010

gcc generates code on the stack.
 Which Tony and I both don't like.
  I think you could change it to generate on an executable heap though -- after all, Java and C# do still work.
  And ATL even does this, to get the this pointer to a WindowProc.

We could use a per-target marker if necessary.

We do pass function pointers to C -- window procs, thread entry.
However, we could handled through a little glue code.

As well, we could disallow passing function pointers to <* external *> functions.
Or taking the address of <* external *> functions.

So interesting idea then -- change procedure pointers to be two words, function pointer and static link?
 Too inefficient? Too incompatible? Too big of a change?

Actually toplevel could benefit from non-null static link, for the sake of position independence.
Some C calling conventions do this sort of thing.