[M3devel] configure -enable-checking

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Nov 21 20:08:40 CET 2010

gcc has this configure -enable-checking.
It finds bugs in the compiler.

Now, it isn't just a boolean.
There is configure -enable-checking=yes which enables some cheap ones.
configure -enable-checking=all which enables much more and is very noticably very slow
configure -enable-checking=foo,bar,abc you can list specific ones.

Now, configure -enable-checking=all is really really slow.

I am getting very close to fixing "all" the problems it finds.

I will likely have configure -enable-checking=a specific list I have be the one and only way,
at least for now.

However I'm also interested in
  - not making everyone pay even that cost
  - the even more expensive -enable-checking=all, at least on one target, if not all

So I think we should setup some extra Hudson nodes and/or tasks for this.
Really, it shouldn't need extra nodes. Tasks should do.
I imagine, the Hudson task would/should be an environment variable
and m3cc/src/m3makefile would check it.

These tasks would not generate snapshots/releases, as their cm3cg would
be unacceptably slow.
(Really, I like extra checking, finding bugs, but it is really incredibly slow.)

Unfortunately it is not a runtime option to cm3cg.
That would help a lot -- as we could build releases/snapshots with the one cm3cg.
But we can't.
Someone is/was looking into making it a command line option.
I know a slow down is unavoidable even then, but maybe ok.
Anyway, we don't have it.