[M3devel] hardware clearance?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 5 11:00:40 CEST 2010

Hey folks.
I have an impending possible need to drastically rapidly cleanup my place.
One of the biggest steps I can take is getting rid of hardware.

Anyone interested?
For free?

It is a quite a mix.  All from eBay over past 2 or so years.
Much has been seen to work, a little has been seen not work, some
has never been tried. Many have not been powered on for months/years.
All have at least some memory/hard drive, some have optical drive,
 or some I'd use external SCSI CD-ROM drive.

SPARC64, PPC64 IA64, PPC, Alpha, MIPS. Stuff capable
of running AIX, Irix, HP-UX, AMD64, VMS, Tru64, Linux,
OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris.

Laptops I can keep.

SPARC64:
  3x: have run Linux, OpenBSD, Solaris a while
  includes two Hudson nodes (Linux, Solaris, not OpenBSD)
  could also surely run NetBSD, FreeBSD
  at least 4 machines, not all of which have been used
  both "workstation" and 1U form factors

MIPS/SGI:
 3 x O2 and 2 x Fuel (much faster)
   2 x O2 never used, or 1x might be broken
   (when I tried to install Linux or NetBSD
   on an O2, it powered off and would never power
   back on; OpenBSD proved easier to install)
 O2 running OpenBSD, used to run Irix
   should also be viable for NetBSD, Linux
 Fuel running Irix, could also run OpenBSD
 Fuel is much much faster.
 Irix you can bootstrap up to gcc by using some
  seemingly accidentally there C compiler.

IA64:
 2x; was able to run Linux (Debian) on both.
 Probably viable for VMS, HP-UX, FreeBSD,
   though I attempted HP-UX and FreeBSD, no luck.
 I might keep one of these.
 One of them lacks video out, must install over serial console.
I think 2U form factors (certainly boxy); heavy

HPPA:
  one machine, was able to run Linux and HP-UX on it
  no video out, must install over serial console
  1U or 2U
  HP-UX can be bootstrapped up to current gcc using in-box K&R cc (via gcc 3.x).

AMD64:
 one Sun workstation, some decent specs

PPC64:
 iMac G5, running Darwin, should be viable for others (e.g. Linux)

PPC64:
  IBM pSeries workstation; running AIX 5.3, should be viable for others (e.g. Linux)
  This machine seemed to overheat and poweroff, e.g. when building gcc, but
  I did manage to get it working pretty well.

Alpha:
 3x or 4x.
 I only ever tried to use one of them and it didn't seem to work.
 2 are "workstation" size, 2 are the nicer smaller DS10L.

68K/Mac:
  2x that I don't anticipate anything happening with.

I can also probably spare some Mac/PPC laptops.
  One of which is broken.

I'd rather not lose too much on shipping. But flexible.
I'd rather ship as much as possible to same place. But flexible.
I'd rather reserve right of return, in case I get more space and time,
  but the odds of this mattering is generally decreasing.

Rather than wiping and pulling hard drives, I'll probably just
change SSH keys.

Thanks and sorry of this is off-topic.