[M3devel] random notes: gcc 4.5, sparc, etc.

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 6 15:30:00 CEST 2010

some random notes

Solaris/sparc32 using gcc 4.3 backend, -O3 breaks exception handling
  Easy test is to run cm3 without a neighboring cm3.cfg and the error
  is that cm3.cfg didn't define BUILD_DIR, rather than couldn't find cm3.cfg

Solaris/sparc32 using gcc 4.5, exception handling is broken, without optimization
  Same easy test, but it crashes upon first attempt to raise an exception.

Solaris/sparc32 using gcc 4.3 is broken by the typeinfo and/or stabilize_reference + O3.
  NULL derefence in backend. Unless you go down to -O2, which parse.c does now.

Linux/sparc32 using gcc 4.5 is very broken, I think without optimization.
  Actually doesn't seem to crash but exit(0) before it finishes initializing all modules.

Meanwhile I think many other targets are working ok with 4.5.
Hudson doesn't use -O2 or -O3 but I use them fairly often, at least on Darwin.