[M3devel] backend interface vs. types vs. forward references?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Oct 4 16:45:46 CEST 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> I think I'll just solve this in the backend by making a few passes.
> Maybe something with specific passes where early passes only pay
> attention to certain opcodes, that declare types.

I'm not really happy with multiple passes within the backend just to
make gcc happy. The performance of the gcc backend is already poor
compared to an integrated backend and to what M3 should be able to
achieve. How much will it cost wrt. performance?

> The new/current "replay" stuff will maybe go away.

Hm, I must have missed that.

> The new/current keeping of the entire file in memory will stay
> unless someone has strong evidence/argument that is shouldn't.

Keeping the whole (intermediate code) file in memory should be fine,
unless we get problems for large generated files on small machines
somewhere.

How big are the intermediate files for all our own sources?
Can you write out some statistics?

Olaf