[M3devel] compilation failure on Solaris

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 6 15:24:30 CEST 2010

It isn't easy. I'm lazy.
I flip one thing and voila cm3 crashes.
I compare e.g. m3core before/after, but there are many changes.

There have been significant changes since August -- starting to provide half decent type information in the trees.
The ramifications of this are potentially very large, and they seem to vary per-target.

Used to be records never had any fields, just a size. That was probably good at tying the compiler's hands,
but it was bad for debugging with regular gdb.

Plus the long time we used volatile.
Plus that even with volatile, things still didn't work with -O3, just that I didn't find a case
until relatively recently (nested functions that gcc thinks are unused, but are referenced
from the module data).