[M3devel] cvsup crash

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Mon Sep 6 21:50:26 CEST 2010

Is this a known problem?  From the mentions of cvsup on this list a few
months ago I suspect it might be.  But I'm mentioning it in case it's
not known.

I installed cm3 from the cm3-LINUXLIBC6-REL.deb I downloaded on Sept 5.
I than ran cvsup to update my copy of the Modula 3 CVS that I acquired
some months ago.  This time I did specify the 'cvsroot' option I had
forgotten that time.

But this time, cvsup crashed:

hendrik at lovesong:~/newcm3/trywholecvs$ cvsup cvsupfile-cm3

***
*** runtime error:
***    An array subscript was out of range.
***    file "../src/vbt/VBTRep.m3", line 644
***

Aborted
hendrik at lovesong:~/newcm3/trywholecvs$

Just in case it's relevant, my cvsupfile-cm3 file:

#
# If not running X, or invoking cvsup from a non-interactive script,
then
# run it as follows:
#
#	cvsup -g -L 2 cvsupfile.cm3
#
# To use the GUI, omit the -g option
#

# Defaults that apply to all the collections

# This host address is permanent:
*default host=modula3.elegosoft.com

# Please change the local destination as you like
# *default base=/usr/tmp/cvs
# *default prefix=/usr/tmp/cvs
*default base=/farhome/hendrik/newcm3/trywholecvs/cvs
*default prefix=/farhome/hendrik/newcm3/trywholecvs/cvs

# Use release=cvs to get the full repository, . to checkout the latest
# sources, or a cvs tag
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix

# If your network link is a T1 or faster, comment out the following
line.
*default compress
*default preserve

# cm3 is the complete source file collection, including everything
# I had access to from the CM3 4.1 and CM3 5.1 releases made by Critical
# Mass, Inc., and all subsequent updates, fixes, and additions of the
# open source CM3 distribution
# cm3 includes all the cm3-xxx collections below
cm3

# scanner and parser generators from the California Institute of
Technology
#cm3-caltech-parser

# cm3 documentation in html and pdf format
#cm3-doc

# cm3 communication packages distribution (tcp, network objects, serial
lines)
#cm3-m3-comm

# cm3 database related packages (odbc, smalldb, stablegen, postgres)
#cm3-m3-db

# miscellaneous cm3 demo programs (cube, calculator, fisheye,
sharedboard,
# mentor)
#cm3-m3-demo

# games (columns, badbricks, tetris, solitaire, maze)
#cm3-m3-games

# the lectern documentation tools packages
#cm3-m3-lectern

# cm3 standard libraries (m3core, libm3, lists, tables, tempfiles,
digraphs,
# slisp, parseparams, realgeometry, libsio)
#cm3-m3-libs

# mail packages (llscan, postcard, webcard)
#cm3-m3-mail

# packages related to the obliq language
#cm3-m3-obliq

# the SRC package tools
#cm3-m3-pkgtools

# m3 and quake comopiler, linker, interpreter, installation and support
#cm3-m3-sys

# miscellaneous tools from pretty printing to heap and thread monitors
#cm3-m3-tools
# graphical user interface packages (trestle, X11, motif, formsvbt,
# videovbt, zeus etc.)
#cm3-m3-ui

# WWW related packages (http, proxy, web, webcat, webscape, deckscape)
#cm3-m3-www

# cm3 shell scripts
#cm3-scripts

# cm3 WWW pages
#cm3-www

# a CVSROOT directory
cvsroot

The cvsup I used identifies itself as:

hendrik at lovesong:~$ cvsup -v
CVSup client, GUI version
Copyright 1996-2003 John D. Polstra
Software version: release_branch_cm3_5_8
Protocol version: 17.0
Operating system: LINUXLIBC6
http://www.cvsup.org/
Report problems to cvsup-bugs at polstra.com
CVSup is a registered trademark of John D. Polstra
hendrik at lovesong:~$

-- hendrik