[M3devel] more combinations to test?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Sep 13 00:50:04 CEST 2010

I'd be super nice if we had some automation around:
  testing cm3cg -O, -O1, -O2, -O3
   m3cc/gcc/configure -enable-checking
   m3cc/gcc/configure -enable-checking=all

I'd settle for just -O3 and -enable-checking=all.

I have a suspicion that if -enable-checking=all was done all along,
we wouldn't have such problems with volatile and optimization.

Currently cm3cg built with -enable-checking hits lots of problems,
or at least many instances of a few problems. For now I change
them warnings while I work through them.

Having Hudson do this, and having then the record logged would be good.
  (It is a large log/record, as we hit many warnings per file, mostly
  converting integer types.)

On the other hand, I'm not sure any of this is worth much.
cm3cg -O3 is noticable slow to run.
Possibly more time is spent in it than it saves.
And -enable-checking maybe only fixes things that matter if optimizing -- based
on what has historically worked.