[M3devel] CM3 services and Elego support, was: Re: conversion to another version control system

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Sep 3 12:45:40 CEST 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

>> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 15:58:21 +0200
>> From: wagner
>> To: jay.krell at cornell.edu
>> CC: m3devel at elegosoft.com
>> Subject: RE: [M3devel] CM3 services and Elego support, was: Re:
>> conversion to another version control system
>>
>> Quoting Jay K :
>>
>> > I think I would settle for SVN.
>> > Though SVN has completely broken branching last I checked, and they
>> > acknowledged it.
>> > SVN also has relatively large dependencies to build from source.
>>
>> Branching in SVN is OK, merging is still wanting in case of tree
>> conflicts.
>
> Last I knew, svn wouldn't keep track if particular changes were
> merged or not.
> You were supposed to note in the commit comment what you merged
> and then know in future to ignore them.

It does that now. Merge tracking was a feature in 1.5 IIRC.

> Therefore, you can't merge.
> Therefore, branching is just copying. All systems support that.
>    Ok, so they might have copy-on-write cheaper branching. Not impressive.
>    Perforce does branching darn near perfectly.
> Also last I knew I think SVN only really supported like temporary
> single level
> branches off of trunk. Perforce allows arbitrary deep hiearchies and a model
> where developers stay in their branches indefinitely, with regular merging
> in both directions. Model where branches aren't meant to be temporary
> or experimental, but are meant for "staging" or "isolation", give places
> for work to stabilize before moving around, and do that as a matter of
> course for all changes. You do then have to build all the various branches
> and regularly merge (they call it "integrate"). It is great for large teams.
>
> SVN's model seems to be that branches are all temporary/experimental
> and expected to eventually merge to trunk and then go away.

SVN does not enforce any branching/merging patterns. Our customers
use it with very different branching setups. It supports arbitrary
branching of development lines to any depth.

>> > I would also like a system that doesn't drop files/directories all
>> > over the place. Just in the root of a checkout should
>> > suffice and be ideal. CVS is awful here and I believe SVN is too.
>>
>> The working copy overhaul expected to be included in SVN 1.7 will
>> keep all metadata at the root of the checkout in an SQL database.
>
> Excellent!
> Maybe wait for that? :)

No problem from my side. I'm not in a hurry to replace the existing CVS
setup.

It would be cool if we could run CVS and GIT copies of the CM3 repo
in parallel for some time (r/o but regularly sync'ed), so that people
can try and see what works best for them.

Olaf