[M3devel] cvsup crash

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Tue Sep 7 10:31:52 CEST 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

>  > It is certainly worth fixing bugs exposed by cvsup.  It used to
> run.  Why does it not run now?  Has there been regression in the CM3
>  implementation?
>
> Very little is known. I don't think we should be so quick to assume
> a regression in cm3.
> For example, cvsup only recently was ever made to work with non-userthreads.
> And this version has seen extremely little use. Perhaps it never
> actually worked with non-user threads.
> It previously depended on all threads surviving fork().

The server uses fork. The client doesn't. The problem reported here
is on the client side.

> Bugs could easily be in cvsup itself.

Well, it used to run without problems and is still replicating the
CM3 repository regularly to several sites (in an older version).
So I think it is likely that we introduced the bugs recently.

> As well, don't we know that Trestle has forever had several race conditions?
> Having recently fixed a few?
>
> It's been my experience that the less something is used, the more
> bugs it has..
> Modula-3 * cvsup + trestle...

The GUI may be disabled with the -g parameter, IIRC.

Olaf