[M3devel] field accesses in m3cg?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Sep 13 01:53:18 CEST 2010

The more I look at this, the more I think we need to do it.
If we want to stop hacking optimizations off, use -O3, use configure -enable-checking.
The "failsafe" replacement for bitfields doesn't even work, though I'm trying to make it work.

Inevitably, for now, we are trading one set of deoptimizations vs. another.
For example, the heavy use of volatile was a big deoptimization that enabled
  "all" the rest to be done..at least from parse.c's point of view, though presumably
   volatile stopped a lot of code below.

Now I'm trying throwing around TREE_ADDRESSABLE, which I'm sure will
 also pessimize. We'll see. I'm not convinced that using ADDR_EXPR
 is equivalent to TREE_ADDRESSABLE. We'll see.

It wasn't enough to throw in TREE_ADDRESSABLE on load/store with offset != 0.
I'm trying it on all load/store now.