[M3devel] Thread local storage?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 14 23:32:22 CEST 2011

 > We've always had thread locals

ps: user threads do this differently and it could be that m3gdb was never updated for pthreads?

 - Jay

From: jay.krell at cornell.edu
To: hosking at cs.purdue.edu; rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:27:10 +0000
CC: m3devel at elegosoft.com
Subject: Re: [M3devel] Thread local storage?

[I wrote a long answer here but it seemed to have gotten lost.]

We've always had thread locals via TlsAlloc/TlsSetValue/TlsGetValue / pthread_key_create, pthread_setspecific, pthread_getspecific.
On Linux we now use __thread instead. It might be a little more efficient. But a much better more difficult change will be to eliminate them in favor of underlying stack walkers.
There is nothing in cm3cg about this.

http://dcvs.elegosoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/cm3/m3-libs/m3core/src/thread/PTHREAD/ThreadPThreadC.c
Revision 1.155: download - view: text, markup, annotated - select for diffs

Wed Jan  5 18:32:00 2011 MET (3 months, 1 week ago) by jkrell

Branches: MAIN

Diff to: previous 1.154: preferred, unified

Changes since revision 1.154: +2 -1 lines

Don't use __thread on Solaris.
It failed to link.
See:
http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/job/cm3-current-build-SOLsun-opencsw-current9s/166/console

Revision 1.151: download - view: text, markup, annotated - select for diffs

Tue Dec 28 12:53:16 2010 MET (3 months, 2 weeks ago) by jkrell

Branches: MAIN

Diff to: previous 1.150: preferred, unified

Changes since revision 1.150: +30 -0 lines

Use __thread on Linux and Solaris.
Doesn't compile on Apple.
Segfaults on OpenBSD and NetBSD.
Not tested on FreeBSD, AIX, Irix, HP-UX, etc., stick with pthread_get/setspecific.
In future hope to eliminate this code anyway, in favor of gcc/libgcc stack walker
  or C++ exceptions (C++ backend).

 - Jay