[M3devel] 5.8.6 LINUXLIBC6 breakage, kernel 2.6.23, glibc-2.6-4

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Apr 21 17:14:24 CEST 2011

Quoting Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com>:

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 04:47:33PM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
[...]
>> Not for real world server applications, where one problem in a user
>> session would crash dozens of other sessions. At least this was what
>> John Polstra reported. The additional safety of separate address
>> spaces _has_ its advantages.
>>
>> I thought CVSup had been changed to work with pthreads though in CM3?
>> Or do I misremember?
>>
>> Anyway, this shouldn't be our most important problem, but rather make
>> System pthreads and also M3 user threads work in a reliable and
>> fault-free way again.
>
> Once our only problems are with CVSup's abuse of fork(), I'd
> consider that done.

I think Mika has pointed out quite a few problems that haven't been
solved yet (or I missed something, which may well be); he even contributed
a sophisticated test program for validation of threads.

If it hasn't been done yet, CVSup can probably easily be adapted to
other thread-survival-during-fork patterns; we just should be able
to provide a consistent specification and implementation for all
platforms, for both threads and process semantics.

However, I'll leave the office now for Easter holidays, and wish
you all sunny and restful Easter days!

Olaf

PS: I'm still surprised that none of those recent problems has found
its way into our fault tracker...