[M3devel] Yet Another OS in Modula-3, AVOCA, in x-kernel

Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. dabenavidesd at yahoo.es
Sat Dec 3 22:58:53 CET 2011

Hi all:
whether we want it or not, perhaps the best opportunity we have is already a complete operating operating system developed in Modula-3 for developing network applications in http://arizona.openrepository.com/arizona/bitstream/10150/185158/1/azu_td_9103022_sip1_m.pdf

 for Linux, OSF, etc, under the x-kernel.

Can we create a branch to develop operating system engine line (you know we don't need any more platforms if we happen to have what is really on any network environment a browser and a file system service), for developing GUIs, things and everybody could license it in whatever license whoever wants to use it might be used safely in any environment, you don't like DEC licenses appearance OK, but for me but if anyone likes them then he can develop in a system that still runs code in a DEC environment and then since everything are objects moving around like process one can define them absolutely license-independent.

I think OS developers in everywhere would love it (I remember an OOP class, where the class Prof. was explaining whether creating an OS  would be called a good class final project, and he seemed to think it wasn't, based on a former classmate of him thought that it was).

If we could create an enough smart environment then one could think in that again. I know several browsers including one outside of DEC that would be appealing to accomplish the work (yes a complete browser engine system in Modula-3).

And the project will be hosting the Obliq based tools in that browser for others as well, but mainly educational/research services for anyone in the net with a bright idea for a system application or just want to experiment with a Modula-3 Obliq super-optimizer at source level or whatever want to do it separately as well:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/ftp/techreports/tr92-27.pdf

See for example see for M-F4 and G-V8:
http://bellard.org/jslinux

Thanks in advance