[M3devel] link failure on NT386

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 1 22:12:05 CET 2011

Why? You do realize, though it doesn't really matter, that the function cannot be implemented in Modula-3, or C, and isn't implemented on most platforms. It is only implemented on NT, in assembly.
Maybe RTHooks is the holder for most function calls from generated code?
The interface between any library and m3front?
No matter how and if they are implemented?

(it could perhaps be implemented in C, void* m3_alloca(size_t n) { return alloca(n); } but I have a "problem" with that, not sure it is a real problem or not, that it strongly resembles returning the address of a local, and if tools had enough visibility into our code, they would flag it as a bug and/or misoptimize it.)

As well, this still requires the backend to recognize and special-case the function.
As well, it seems like atomics could fit the same model. Why are they in m3cg?

I'm trying not to insist on anything in particular, but I'd like to understand why the different options.
m3cg offers the most direct, easily implemented, easily optimized, special-case free approach, though it makes m3cg "wider" and m3cg is kind of scary and large. But making special-case functions is just a way to hide the interface widening..in a way that is easier to remove or omit per-target if applicable perhaps..

 - Jay