[M3devel] cm3-ide

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Feb 18 09:40:14 CET 2011

Quoting זאב בלומנצויג <zeev.blu at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> First, thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I have tried to use the file you gave me, and some other files from that
> site.
> I have some questions:
> 1. If I understand correctly, the method of working with this compiler is
> through the CMD in WINDOWS. Is not this language a IDE to work with?

A language and its implementation in a compiler does not necessarily
require a full-fledged intergrated development environment like Eclipse.
My faourite IDE when I was actively using M3 was always XEmacs :-)
There _is_ a web-based cm3-ide (which should be contained in that
archive) that allows you to build and manage your projects with a
standard web browser, but that might be quite different from your
expectations of an IDE, too ;-)

> 2. When I tried to compile , I got a linking error:
>
> " link is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> program or batch file."
>
> And then another error:
>
> "... \cm3 \ bin \ cm3.cfg ", line 455: quake runtime error: link failed "
>
> And finally I received:
>
> " Fatal Error: procedure "m3_link" defined in "... \ cm3 \ bin \ cm3.cfg"
> failed. "

You either missed the installation of a suitable system linker as
described in the "Windows installation notes" referred to below or
you didn't set the appropriate variables in your environment or in
the cm3 configuration files. CM3 does not include a system linker,
and on Windows you have got to install one yourself, while on all
other systems it usually is installed by default.

You can use the cm3 option "-commands" to actually view the external
commands the builder is calling.

I hope this helps,

Olaf