[M3devel] [M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Mon Feb 21 05:50:31 CET 2011

Jay K writes:
>--_0b0e48b4-5c54-4fbb-8adf-2eb48374df09_
>

>Wait? No=2C that is probably just bogus posix thinking.
>You can just close your handle to the process.
>You don't have to wait for it to exit.

Well on Unix I don't think you can do that, can you?  You can't
tell the system that you're not going to be calling "wait4" on a
particular PID... or can you?  If not, the portable thing to do
is to do what I said... register a GC cleanup such that when
a Process.T goes out of scope the runtime does a Process.Wait in
the background.  It'd work on both Unix and Windows and use existing
code rather than introducing a new abstraction.  One issue is that
with my SIGCHLD modification you will get zombies if you don't call
wait4 on Unix.  Process.i3 does mention this possibility so I don't
think I "broke" anything.  (Coding to the specification cuts both
ways...)

    Mika