[M3devel] SEGV mapping to RuntimeError

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Tue Feb 22 18:59:08 CET 2011

I don't know how relevant this is, but FWIW, I played with some patches in an
interactive program I have that catches its own assertion failures and recovers
from some of them.  I was already using RTProcess.RegisterExitor with my own
procedure.  I made the exitor just call RTException.Raise.  Then I deliberately
did a NIL deref inside a try block catching RTException.E and ignoring it.

It did prevent termination of my program.  But there were two other problems:

1) The SIGSEGV messages came out on the command line before the exitor was
    invoked.
2) After the exception was caught, the program was catatonic, without using
    CPU.

This is with pthreads.  I haven't figured out why the wait.  m3gdb seems to
be useless in looking at other threads than the one it happens to get into,
when using pthreads.