[M3devel] new target? :)

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Thu Feb 24 23:15:51 CET 2011

Jay K writes:
>Ultimately..you can tell what I'm going to say..a good solution is Modula-3=
>-to-C=2C and then use whatever C compiler you want.
>Including the nativeclient gcc. An iPhone/iPad/iPod cross compiler. Older s=

I'm still curious why they abandoned this path.  The first M3 compilers
all generated C code.  I read something about a Modula-2 compiler that
was generating C code and therefore had problems with.. something.

Also isn't the back-end m3cg actually quite an interesting program in
its own right?  You could imagine targeting other language front-ends
to that back-end.  I understand it is a good enough idea that RMS was
very annoyed that m3cg even exists.

    Mika