[M3devel] new target? :)

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Fri Feb 25 02:31:00 CET 2011

Jay K writes:
>m3cg is=2C technically=2C a gcc frontend=2C and therefore GPL.
>However its input is not human authored text.
>Its input is the output of a "real" front end -- m3front/cm3.
>By making the "call mechanism" be write to a file and run a process=2C the =
>GPL doesn't cross the barrier=2C
>leaving cm3/m3front=2C and more importantly=2C m3core/libm3=2C not GPL.
>=20
>=20
>I do wonder if m3cg/cm3/m3front/m3core/libm3 could be LGPL to please RMS.
>=20
>=20

Good points all about C but I wonder about what is really lost.  Also ......
Modula-3 is supposed to be portable to systems without C.  You're supposed
to be able to write an entire system in Modula-3.  Ok generating C obviously
doesn't break that feature but you might have to worry a bit about having
too much C sneak into the runtime libraries.

Well given that CM3 is released under what is more or less an MIT/BSD license,
I think the problem is rather that Some Evil Software Company could write
a completely non-free front-end and use m3cg to generate code...

    Mika