[M3devel] emac

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Jan 1 04:06:34 CET 2011

Olaf already has provided a PowerPC Mac running I think MacOSX 10.3.
Which provides most of any value for any PowerPC Mac.

What is "missing" -- hypothetically in some more grandiose but possibly wasteful world -- might include:
 running older versions of MacOS X (10.0, 10.1, 10.2)
 running newer versions of MacOS X (10.4, 10.5)
 personally I haven't noticed much change since 10.2, except for dropping the 68K support circa 10.5, adding x86 circa 10.4, dropping PowerPC circa 10.6.
 running MacOS 7/8/9/Classic -- ie: pre-MacOS X, either in the "Classic emulator", or "directly", as well as the 68K emulator therein.
 (For anyone interested in a 68K port though, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Linux are probably drastically easier (OpenBSD dropped support recently, Debian dropped support long ago, NetBSD still supports). I'd be willing to give the Posix systems a shot, given ssh access.)

My ongoing hardware clearance has not gotten to any laptops but at some point I'll probably offer up some free/cheap PowerPC Mac laptops, if anyone here wants to spend the time/space/energy on them.

Ultimately..broken record..if we output fairly portable C++, the cross product work and testing can dramatically go away. YOu know -- let's say I have "hello, world", I don't bother porting it or testing it on any systems but the one I have. Most software is much closer to that than we are currently. I'd like to get close to that.