[M3devel] how to use gcc exception/unwind support?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 5 04:45:34 CET 2011

 > Yes, indeed.  We don't need all the overhead of the C++ exception handling mechanism.

It is so much? Well, it maybe is more to understand.
But the unw_step code isn't clearly exposed, only higher level stuff is.

 > sparc stack walker
 > We need to make sure that "Set_label" IR instructions that are barriers influence the gcc labels accordingly.

Even w/o optimization?
I did never figure out som of the gcc 4.5 analogs to the gcc 4.3 code, regarding barrier labels.

 > You know -- what is the availability of the gcc unwinder on Solaris?
 > But we do use gcc as the M3 backend on Sparc, so not a problem.
> We don't use the gcc driver.
> Solaris does ship with gcc these days, so maybe just to look at what it does..

  > We could simply link using gcc.
Maybe. I think some of the opencsw machines actually move or remove gcc, but maybe a bit of testing and autoconf-like probing and we can always find it.. or maybe it comes with static libgcc.a, and maybe therefore we can/should build static libgcc.a with cm3cg. Anyway, I'll be quite pleased if if I can get Darwin/Linux/*BSD working, Solaris can wait quite a while..