[M3devel] calling an overridden method

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Jul 19 11:32:51 CEST 2011

I have a module containing a parent class, and another containing a
child class.

The parent class contains a method 'foo', which is to be overridden in
the child class.

But in implementing 'foo' in the child class I want to call the parent's
method.

Now with the method 'init' there's a trick where in the child's init,
you WIDEN self to the parent's type and then call its init.
This works because 'init' isn't overridden in an OVERRIDES clause,
but is defined as a new method that happens to have the same name.

Is there any way to do this with 'foo', where the whole point is that
it be an overridden method and not a new one?

Do I have to do something like covertly exporting the PROCEDURE that
implements 'foo' in the parent's module so that it can be called
directly? That would seem to be a violation of modular design.  Or is
violating modular design exactly what I'm really trying to do here?

-- hendrik