[M3devel] helo everyone - videotutorials for modula3

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Jun 15 21:45:16 CEST 2011

Remove postgres from the system_libs and/or system_liborder in the config file, if you don't have postgres.
And then the postgres package should check for existance in system_libs/system_liborder and do nothing if not present.
It might not currently. But this pattern is used some and works somewhat reasonably, but not perfectly.

If you later do install postgres, you get to go back and reedit the config file -- not good.
Imagine what the automation looks like -- the order you install packages should not
affect the outcome -- so such automatic steps have to be rerun whenever anything
is installed, or some optimized form of that.

Surely some package systems have addressed this, but we don't interoperate with them,

it's non-trivial and platform-dependent work...

Besides that, there's a certain dumbness.
Compiling and dynamic linking against libfoo.so ought to require almost nothing -- just the headers and
a list of symbols in libfoo.so, not the actual code for libfoo.so.
That is basically how compile/link on Windows works. But maybe not elsewhere.

- Jay