[M3devel] How to install cm3 at a nonstandard location

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Mon Mar 28 18:16:23 CEST 2011

I tried to build cm3 head and install at /usr/local/cm3-head.
 From the installation notes, I set environment variable
CM3_INSTALL to this path.  After fixing several failures
involving merges by cvs, I discovered it had been putting
things into /usr/local/cm3, where I have the latest cm3
release, giving me a mixture of stuff from the head and
the release, which I certainly don't trust.

I was building instead of using cminstall, like the the install
notes were referring to.  However, before I started, I found
code in scripts/sysinfo.sh setting up CM3_INSTALL to the default,
unless already set, which I took to mean this was the way to
do it when building too.

I did double and triple check my spelling and value of
CM3_INSTALL, before and after the failed builds.

So how do I get this to work?

This was on LINUXLIBC6.

Rodney Bates