[M3devel] About this issue when compiling small machines and bigger machines with Gcc

Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. dabenavidesd at yahoo.es
Tue Oct 18 04:51:35 CEST 2011

Hi all:
I was retrieving bits and I saw the history of C programming language, and stop and read it because of late Dennis Ritchie and its legacy, and thought OK, it's good to seek what's the history of C in regards of the born of itself and of Unix tech-bed.
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/chist.html

It turned an interesting quick read until when I found the machine of their  implementation and later to discover how the technical fact that generating assembly for it was a better idea to do it with some sort of macro-precessor (OK, not exactly C preprocessor, but sort of) out of that it then chunk chunk why it's that such would apply now, then I came back to look for the qeustion of C-- implementation:
http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~dias/dissertation/dissertation.pdf

So where is the trick here if we want to introduce Modula-3, the question was raised by the tool the NJ machine-code toolkit:
http://www.cs.tufts.edu/~nr/pubs/tk-usenix.html

But then the problem for them was that this thesis above has dependence on that the NJ mc tk generates C and Modula-3, what amazing! I mean their problem is not ours, is our solution! Also the mld idea I have been thinking about, maybe it's time for us to try this in the cm3 too, to see whether we can avoid gcc like targets and dependencies.

Thanks in advance