[M3devel] Downsides of Modula-3 ?

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Sun Apr 22 01:36:10 CEST 2012

Jay K writes:
>1) please elaborate

>2) We don't use longjmp as much any more=2C but get/set=
>/make/swapcontext on platforms that support them.And where we do use longjm=
>p=2C we have a more portable use than before -- we no longer hack on the jm=
>pbuf.There is a "trick" where you use sigsetstack or some such to get the s=
>tack pointer into the jmpbuf.Look at the code and read the paper referenced=
>. It is possible it didn't work on all platforms.  But anyway=2C see #1.We'=
>d really prefer to just use pthreads.Hm. I'd like to look again at what pth=
>reads features we use -- I suspect pthreads/Win32 can beabstracted more thi=
>nly and the Modula-3 code less-forked/more-shared. But later..  - Jay > Fro=

Sorry for the bad quote.  My mailer still lives in the 7-bit world.

In any case I was just mentioning as a problem with the current Modula-3
implementation that the pthreads bindings are buggy.  I would not (and
do not) use them for serious work.  And user threads are, as we all know,
not ideal...

Anybody who wants to investigate the matter can start by running the thread
testing program in m3core/tests/thread ...  Main.m3 is fairly well documented.

     Mika