[M3devel] some proposed m3cg additions?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 16 00:15:51 CEST 2012

I suggest backends should be informed of the following somehow via m3cg calls:

word size definitely

endian maybe
jmpbuf size maybe
target_name maybe

I understand they are available from m3middle.
Part of my agenda is that .mc files be more self contained.

Eventually I'd like the IL to be independent of all of these anyway, but that is a later project.
Jmpbuf size I know how to eliminate.
Target_name doesn't really have meaning.
Eliminating word size and endian dependencies in the IL won't be so easy.

The extra information should be pretty harmless even if not critical.

For example though...if you look at m3cgcat..it is slightly bad that it has to discover target
from the ambient environment, instead of from the input file.

Thank you,