[M3devel] m3front/TInt/TFloat should maintain "textual expressions" for constants?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Aug 20 00:08:26 CEST 2012

 >  However, if you really implement target arithmetic somewhere,
I don't. I just want to print out constants or expressions for a C or C++ compiler to deal with.

My initial goal is a C-generating backend that "work".
The code will be target-dependent and not very debuggable (like what stock debuggers do today with Modula-3).
Longer term, I want the code to be target-endian-indepenent, target-wordsize-independent, target-jmpbuf-independent, and possibly floating-point-representation-independent -- completely target-independent. Floating-point-representation independence doesn't gain anything -- all hosts and targets use the same representation, and I think the current system depends on that anyway (see TFloat). Floating-point-representation independence is "difficult" for "most compilers", but if generating C/C++, I think it is easy.

target-wordsize-independence I believe shall be gained by my proposal here.
target-endian-indepencence I believe shall be gained by small changes in m3front and the existing backends -- m3front only checks endianness in like one or two places.
target-jmpbuf-size-independence I believe shall be gained by roughly the change I made in late 2010, but w/o causing loops to allocate stack for every try "invocation". Or, well, there is likely another way -- some indication to the backend that the variable is a jumpbuf and then outputing "jmp_buf jb" in the C backend..it should be easy enough..add declare_jmpbuf that has the same signature as declare_local, or add a boolean to declare_local. That is more efficient than the alloca(Csetjmp_jmpbuf_size) approach, but doesn't achieve the same gain for m3middle -- that is, even when targeting m3cc, m3front/m3middle ought not have this information -- that would cut out yet one more target-dependence in cm3/m3front/m3middle. Anyway, I'm not to this point yet. I have a fair amount more to do just for target-dependent C to be generated and work. I have made progress, but there is more to do.

 - Jay