[M3devel] I know, I know...

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Thu Aug 23 21:42:51 CEST 2012

I have a friend, working for large software company and he just recently ported some message router from SPARC to Linux/Intel… Lots of "network order" data, same as with my current projects. Network, communication in general, network order is everywhere.

Insisting on some god-given data ordering is a bit… What is nice word here? :) Outlandish? Outimeish?

This is not first time I started discussion like this here. Every single time Jay explains to me how Modula-3 cannot handle it. I am handling it, as I have shown in my example, with Modula-3 code. With a bit of effort I can make it almost-transparent (subfolder/platform) over various platforms. Of course, as I am developing a full product (not software to be run on arbitrary platform) I don't have to worry about too many platforms. One is enough here, but I still think Modula-3 can benefit, and a lot, if it supported explicit byte/bit ordering/packing/aligning pragmas.

Also, unlike GCC, pointer alignment in Modula-3 is 64bit on x86_64. It is 32bit in GCC, and x86_64 is totally happy with it. Wr have 64bit so we must write piece of software in C to be what? Compatible with API's all systems are compatible with without any hassle.

TIA
--
Divided by a common language

Dragiša Durić