[M3devel] Think we need a new release.

Vintage Coder vintagecoder at aol.com
Fri Feb 10 15:14:35 CET 2012

What is the purpose of a new release? A compiler and runtime that work presumably only need fixes. Are you talking about a major new version or a mod level or what? The last release on cm3 I see is from 2010.

Are there bug fixes in the pipeline that haven't been verified? Are there fixes ready to go that no builds have been done for? What is the problem more frequent releases will solve? Personally I see no benefit (indeed I see many disadvantges) to frequent releases of stable software. But I often run backlevel intentionally.

Firefox is being updated for many reasons including security holes, bug fixes, new standards, and more. If the Modula-3 standard hasn't been updated, what is driving the need for new release(s)?

It looks like cm3 supports more platforms than I have. I would be willing to help out (I am not a UNIX developer) any way I could. I have Solaris Intel and SPARC boxes.