[M3devel] Think we need a new release.

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Mon Feb 13 18:31:04 CET 2012

This discussion reminds me of my first full-time software job.  The
division manager had a graph on his wall of bugs fixed per month.  He
considered a high fix rate evidence of success.  Some of us sat around
laughing about the incentives that created.

I also recall a wonderfully-written story about an aging programmer
who protected his job against the youth-is-smartest culture by keeping
carefully planned bugs in code that only he could fix.

I really do think the low level of activity in both the language
and its implementations reflects their having been done well to begin
with.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to sell that idea.  A lot of
people think like that division manager.