[M3devel] AND (…, 16_ff)… Not serious - or so I hope!

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Sat Jul 14 22:05:57 CEST 2012

On 06/27/2012 02:58 AM, Dirk Muysers wrote:
> Some time ago I have started to develop a unicode library based
> on the old M3 text model but using UTF-8 internally rather than
> Latin-1 (see README attachement). For reasons best known to
> me I had to put it on the backburner in favour of more urgent work.
> If anybody is interested in furthering this solution I would eagerly
> give the existing (pre-alpha) code away.
> This being said, there are certainly better hash algorithms than the
> one used by m3core (eg Goullburn, see
> http://www.clockandflame.com/media/Goulburn06.pdf).

And:

1. Properties

This part deals with properties of Unicode code-points/characters. We call Unicode code-points "runes" for brevity.
Unlike WIDECHAR's, runes cover the the whole gamut of the Unicode specification. We could have defined a Rune as
TYPE Rune = [0..16_10FFFF], but  unfortunately not all values in the code-point range are valid and others are left
undefined, so a "Rune" is defined as an integer. The library uses defensive programming by not allowing a string to
contain any invalid or undefined Rune.

I don't understand the reasoning here.  Your criticism of the subrange type is that it contains invalid values
between the bounds, which you address with dynamic value checks inside the library code.  But why eliminate the
subrange and changing the type to an integer?  It only drastically increases the number of invalid values,
by a factor of over 2^11 times, if integer is 32-bit, otherwise more.  And it demotes the status of these
from statically-detected, in one compile, to dynamically-detected, requiring massive testing to get an even
partial level of confidence.  It also precludes storing them in less than 64 bits on a 64-bit machine.

Am I missing something?