[M3devel] Simple change to WIDECHAR type

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Fri Jul 6 18:28:10 CEST 2012

This is the result of the fact that your editor is writing UTF-8, while
the compiler is reading in ISO-latin-1, as the language specifies.  This
was sensible at the time it was defined, but has been overcome by the
advent and proliferation of Unicode.

The abstract code point values in the range 16_80..16_FF are indeed the same in
Unicode and ISO-latin-1, but the bit encoding rules are different.

The simple and correct solution is to fix the compiler so that, like many
programs today, it can be told to use one of several encodings when interpreting
its input.  Then set it the same as you set your editor.